Thursday, October 18, 2007

Anxiety Dream

I was singing in an opera. The first performance was approaching, and I couldn't find the conductor, the other performers, the members of the musical staff, the director. I think I had the score. I hadn't learned the part yet. The opera, apparently, was Salome, yes, the Strauss, though I didn't figure that out until someplace near the end of the dream. I was singing the part of the sweet young thing who should be the one to marry the male lead - a character like Micaela in Carmen.

Jump to a performance of the opera. We weren't in a real theater; there weren't real wings, there were no flies. It was more like a garage, a deep, low-ceilinged, rather wide garage. The audience wasn't inside; one side of the building was open and people were watching from outside, mostly sitting on the ground or standing, I think. There was a lot of concrete.

The company had the air of traveling gypsies, or maybe a community theater group. The production looked more like Fiddler on the Roof than Salome. I remember hovering around the curtains that passed for wings and watching the production with horror. I am sure I was visible from the audience sometimes.

I still didn't know the part, so they wouldn't let me go on, but that was fine, because the opera was Salome, and there is no sweet young thing who should marry the male lead. The soprano singing the title character was very bad.

2 comments:

Celeste Winant said...

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

whats worst, not knowing your lines, or having to be a soprano ingenue?

I remember once dreaming in college that I became teh Disney version of Snow WHite, but that my physique was really butch and muscular, and that I looked incredibly out of place. the shaved head didn't help.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I think it's a toss-up! If I were a soprano I'd be a dramatic soprano!

I BET the shaved head didn't help!!!