Friday, November 30, 2007

One Thing He Got Wrong

The magnificent Walt Disney Concert Hall has a surprising and distressing omission: none of the doors at box office level are electric. That is, I could not find a door where you push a flat plate with an accessibility symbol on it to open the door. Maybe there's an accessible door there someplace and I just missed it, but I saw a WDCH employee struggling to help a woman who uses a wheelchair get into the lobby. Maybe the accessible entrance is elsewhere; that would be wrong because the building ought not make disabled people feel like second-class citizens having to go around the corner.

It's just not acceptable in a public building constructed well after the passsage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). I hope the omission will be corrected at some point.

4 comments:

Chester said...

I think there might be an accessible entrance from the garage area.
I don't find the exterior magnificent because of its street "unfriendliness." Architecture as sculpture is stupid in a city environment.

Lisa Hirsch said...

What do you find unfriendly about the exterior?

Chester said...

The way it meets the sidewalk. I know nobody walks in LA but it's an oppressive hulk of towering metal when viewed up close.

Lisa Hirsch said...

That's what makes horse races! I love the exterior.