Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wow.

Like just about everyone I know, I was and remain thrilled by the election of Barack Obama. At the same time, as I said to friends not long ago, he is going to do plenty that I won't like or approve of. At the very same time, I couldn't get all worked up about his selection of Rick Warren to give the benediction at the Inauguration; yes, Prop. 8 passed, but in the long run, it's a loser, because a majority of younger people favor marriage equality.

But there've been a few announcements, okay, one is a leak, about upcoming policy decisions, that are just the kind of thing I was hoping for from the President-elect:
  • Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson is giving the invocation at the Inauguration. You remember Bishop Robinson, I presume. The Episcopal Church and Anglican Communion are in an uproar, quite possibly leading to schism, because Robinson is gay and lives openly with his male partner.
  • The Obama Administration plans to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, allowing gay, lesbian, and bisexual members of the armed forces to serve openly.
  • The Obama Administration will close the Guantanamo prison, removing a giant blot on our international reputation.
This is all huge, and a huge change from the recent past. Add in the return of science to scientific policymaking, the depoliticization of the Justice Department, what Sen. Clinton said at her confirmation hearings, etc., etc. and I can see the way to undoing the damage done by the outgoing president and his evil minions.

No comments: