Saturday, July 31, 2010

San Francisco Classical Voice Music Teacher Listings

SFCV is starting a free music teacher listing service, expected to launch in October. Teachers can sign up here.

If you're looking for an instructor for your child, I'll throw in a few thoughts.

Every kid is different. No single instructor will be great for each child. Don't be afraid to audition a few teachers, to call them and ask questions, etc. If I were looking for a music teacher, I'll look for someone with a variety of experience with good references; I'd ask about whether the teacher puts together duet pairs or small ensembles; I'd want to observe a couple of lessons, if possible. I'd want a teacher who could work well with my particular child, in terms of both motivating and challenging the child, applying enough praise while making it clear where the child could do better.

No comments: