Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Tokyo String Quartet: Two Members to Retire

Violist Kazuhide Isomura and second violinist Kikuei Ikeda will retire from the Tokyo Quartet in June 2013. Isomura is a founding member of the quartet and has thus played with the Tokyo since 1969. The remaining members of the quartet, first violinist Martin Beaver and cellist Clive Greensmith, are currently playing with potential new quartet members.

From the press release:
Violist Kazuhide Isomura said, “As a founding member of the ensemble, I have performed with the Tokyo String Quartet for more than 40 years, which has been fascinating, intense and very satisfying. Forming and playing in a string quartet had always been my dream, and I thought I would continue to perform this wonderful repertoire for the rest of my life. Quite recently, I began to realize that I could not do this forever. Frequent travel has become one of the more difficult aspects of our work. Following my time with the quartet, I look forward to a freer lifestyle, but I will continue to teach chamber music and viola with much passion, as well as perform in a select number of concerts. I have faith that Martin Beaver, Clive Greensmith and the new members of the Tokyo String Quartet will be very successful and continue to perform great chamber music together.”
            Second violinist Kikuei Ikeda added, “I would like to thank my colleagues and our audiences for their wonderful support over the past 37 years. I have always loved chamber music and I will continue to teach and perform through the next phase of my career.”

No comments: