Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Ojai Music Festival: MDs through 2021



Good news on the Music Director front from the Ojai Festival:

  • Peter Sellars, 2016, with a program of mostly women composers
  • Vijay Iyer, 2017
  • Esa-Pekka Salonen, 2018
  • Barbara Hannigan, 2019
  • Patricia Kopatchinskaya, 2020
  • Mitsuko Uchida, 2021; she was also MD in 1998 with conductor David Zinman
The link is to the press release - it hasn't landed in my inbox yet, but email this morning asked me if I'd heard the news, so I checked their web site, and wow. The exact dates of the festivals are there as well, if you plan your travels years ahead. 

As regular readers know, I've been rolling my eyes at their programming annually, owing to a track record where music composed by women was sorely neglected by a festival of new and unusual music. (I see that my 2015 post about the situation mentioned Hannigan and conductor of the hour MGT as potential music directors!)

So thank you, Ojai, for these excellent appointments. And keep MGT in mind for future seasons.

No comments: